I have admittedly owned the Lisse pattern from New Horizon's (then named Terra's Treasures) since it was released. I even printed it out soon after I bought it. That was well over a year ago. Then it sat, printed and neatly taped together in my sewing closet until last week! I finally got my motivation back on this pattern and got to work on it! I think part of my hesitation was that it (gasp) didn't have pockets. I know, not a big deal, but sometimes just a little hang-up causes me some major creative blocks. So, imagine my elation that once I actually looked at the pattern, I saw it had side seams, so I knew I could easily add some in-seam pockets! I had been brainstorming different ways to add pockets, but in the end thought in-seam would be the most subtle way. I didn't want to take away from the gorgeous petal detail!
Adding in-seam pockets is so easy, I do it to lots of patterns! For this one, I used the pocket piece from the Deer Creek tunic and placed in on my pattern roughly where I thought it should go. I simply marked the top and bottom placement of the pocket piece on the two front bottom pieces (the left and right petal pieces) and on the back bottom piece. (making sure to transfer that mark to both sides once cut as that piece is cut on the fold!) Then, just attach them like you would any inseam pocket! I also finished off the pockets by topstitching them down with coordinating thread as I did not want them hanging out the bottom of my shirt!
I had so much fun with the little details on this pattern, especially with my fabric choice! I used a reversible double knit from Joann's. One side is a beautiful deep red, and the other is tiny black and white pinstripes. I knew I wasn't smart enough or talented enough to make the garment itself reversible, but I wanted to have some fun with the fabric. I used the pin stripes as the "right side" for my pocket pieces so that the black and white would peek out of those, as my cuffs and also on the inside of my cowl neck as that would show a bit too. I decided to make a coordinating drawstring with the pinstripe side as well as one final detail to tie it all together. I just love how it turned out! I had to flip a coin to decide between the cowl or hood option, and went with cowl on this one. I love how it still has the drawstring detail!
Despite the fact that I have three Alma Mater's with red as their main color, I have surprisingly little (i.e. none...) of it in my closet!! This is going to be my staple game day top come fall to cheer on my Buckeye's! I also love that it can be dressed up by throwing on some nice black boots, or dressed down as I've shown it with my casual Chuck Taylors! Will definitely be making more of this pattern now that I've gotten my initial go at it out of the way.... and ended up loving the result!!
Please note that this post contains links. Some of these may be "affiliate links" which means that if you decide to make a purchase I get paid a tiny portion of whatever is purchased, but at no additional cost to you. Affiliate payments go directly to my fabric fund to continue the cycle of sewing up or testing more patterns so I can share the love with you!